Re: Version mismatch of shared library libstdc++.so.6

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Tim Prince
<TimothyPrince@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Qingning Huo wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having a problem of shared library version mismatch.  I built
> > some shared library (.so) files with g++ 4.2.2.  My client's program,
> > built with g++ 3.4.6, cannot load the library with dlopen.  On his
> > box, ldd reports that version CXXABI_1.3.1 and GLIBCXX_3.4.9 not found
> > in libstdc++.so.6.
> >
> > Is it generally supported to use a shared library built with one
> > version of g++ and expect it to work in a program built with another
> > version of g++?
> >

>  No, generally speaking, it is not possible to build against a new glibc and
> make it work with a glibc installation of an older major version.  In
> addition, there are almost certainly incompatibilities due to such a major
> difference in g++ version.

Tim, thanks for your help.

I am trying to find a solution to resolve this if possible.  Would it
help if my client installs the newer libstdc++.so of gcc 4.2.2?  His
program built with old gcc should continue to work, and ldd (or
dlopen) of my shared library should also work?  The interface to my
shared lib is C style interface, so hopefully all would be fine?

Please let me know whether this is a feasible approach?

Thanks.
Qingning