Re: build 64-bit gcc-4.2.2 on Solaris 9

Jim Wilson wrote:

Poor Yorick wrote:
I'm trying to build 64-bit gcc-4.2.2 on Solaris 9, but I keep getting 32-bit files in the build. I've tried various values for --host, --target, CFLAGS, and LDFLAGS, but no joy.

Telling what target names you have already tried would be quite obligatory...

I've looked around the documentation, and back through a couple of years of the mailing list without luck. Could someone please clue me in on how to tell gcc to be 64-bit?

Looking around the obvious 'gcc/config.gcc' for the available target names would be wise... If one cannot guess what the right target name
could be, here one sees what target name templates one could try...

I don't have a sparc machine here, but I believe most sparc-solaris builds support both 32-bit and 64-bit code. You get 64-bit code with -m64 and 32-bit code with -m32. So yes, you will have 32-bit files in the build even when building a gcc that emits 64-bit code. This isn't a problem.

Traditionally using a 'sparc-solaris2.x' target name has resulted to a 32-bit default, 64-bit optional (with '-m64') compiler.

If you want 64-bit code only, you can configure for sparc64-sun-solaris2.10 (or whatever Solaris version you have) and also specify --disable-multilibs to turn off support for the 32-bit libraries.

Furhermore using a 'sparcv9-solaris2.x' target name has resulted to a 64-bit default, 32-bit optional (with '-m32') compiler.

You might need to be more specific about what you want here. You want a gcc compiled as 64-bit code or a gcc that emits 64-bit code or both?