Re: Issue on X86_64?

Lorenzo Pesce wrote:
David,

However, when I try to build a dynamically linked library
to be loaded
by java, including the .o files from libgfortran.a

This seems like a bad thing to do. libgfortran.a does not
contain PIC code, so its members cannot be put in a shared
library.  You should link against libgfortran.so

This would seem the right solution on the surface, however,
if I link against the .so, i have three problems:
1) When I release the code to the masses, they need one
additional library. My issues is not with running my code but
rather with my users (I have thousands of users and they are
not very good with their computers).
2) Java needs to find where the library is and it does not
seem to work.
3) The .so, because of libstc's and so on, port fairly poorly,
so even if I wanted to include them in a release, it would
still be a pain.

Much easier for me would be to have access to the objects of
libgortran.a compiled as PIC. I don't care for many parts of
the .so because the code runs only as a library.

Does it make sense?

I understand what you are saying, but I don't necessarily agree that it is the 'right thing to do'.

The object files you need exist somewhere in the gcc build tree (but not in any archive), you need to figure out how to get them out.

David Daney