Passing array variable as Input Constraint to lea Inline Assembly instruction; works on i386, not on AMD64

[Updated email Subject: to better reflect the issue.]

Daniel Yek wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the right way to pass an array variable as address into an Inline Assembly block as Input Constraint.

Let me add that I need/want to understand how to make lea instruction works in Inline Assembly to facilitate porting (and it works for i386, but I wonder why it isn't working for x86_64).

I also want to make sure that I'm using the right Constraint.

One more comment inline...

Test Program: #include <stdio.h>

int array[3] = {111, 222, 333};

int main(void)
{
   int out = 0;
   asm(
       ".intel_syntax noprefix           \n\t"
       "lea         eax, %[array]        \n\t"
       "mov         eax,[eax]            \n\t"
       "inc         eax                  \n\t"
       ".intel_syntax prefix             \n\t"
     : "=a" (out)
     :   [array]  "m"  (*array)
   );

printf("out = %i\n", out);

   return 0;
}

Compiling on i386 machine, it worked: COMMAND LINE: gcc -fPIC -DPIC -masm=intel prog_i386 prog_i386.c

ASSEMBLY:
   mov %eax, DWORD PTR array@GOT[%ebx]
#APP
   .intel_syntax noprefix
   lea         eax, DWORD PTR [%eax]

Compiling on x86_64 machine, it didn't work: COMMAND LINE: gcc -fPIC -DPIC -masm=intel -o prog_x86_64 prog_x86_64.c

ERROR: /tmp/cc7z5OHz.s: Assembler messages: /tmp/cc7z5OHz.s:27: Error: invalid operand for 'mov' ('(' unexpected) /tmp/cc7z5OHz.s:38: Error: invalid operand for 'lea' ('(' unexpected)

ASSEMBLY:
   mov %rax, QWORD PTR array@GOTPCREL(%rip)

It now appears to me that this is simply a case of a GCC bug in producing -masm=intel AMD64 assembly. If I fix the assembly output up by replacing () with [], the resulting assembly would actually assemble and execute successfully.

--
Daniel Yek.

#APP
   .intel_syntax noprefix
   lea         rax, DWORD PTR [%rax]

I am hoping for a solution that is good for both compiling with -fPIC or not, if possible.

What is the right way to pass an array variable into Inline Assembly?

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Simple-Constraints.html#Simple-Constraints

Is there any other constraint that I should be using instead?

Thanks for your advice!