Re: Why does gcc's Makefile have so many targets?

NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed that the Makefile for gcc can compile many many things,
> including sed, ash, dosutils, gawk, uudecode, and perl, just to name a
> few.  What is the purpose for this?  How is this done if none of those
> things are in the gcc svn repository?

This is a historical legacy of the Cygnus configure script, retained
because some people do like to build at least the binutils, newlib,
and gdb in the same source tree as gcc (this is sometimes called the
combined tree build or the uberbaum build).  There is some historical
background at http://airs.com/ian/configure/ .

Ian