64-bit for OS kernel development

Greetings,

I am interested in using gcc to extend the development of an OS kernel
from 32-bit to 64-bit for Intel and AMD processors.

If I use a compiler that is built for a 32-bit Linux distro, and I
change my types in the kernel code from 32 bit (long and unsigned long)
to 64 bit (long long and unsigned long long), will the resulting data
types use the native 64-bit types on the underlying machine?

Thanks,
FM