Re: reduce compilation times?

Brian Dessent wrote:
Tom St Denis wrote:

What you really should do, is profile your code, then create "static
inline" or macro copies of heavily used (and not overly large) pieces of
code. And even then, inlining code doesn't always help.

You don't have to go to the trouble of inlining things manually, the
compiler can do a much better job of estimating whether that's
advantageous or not. Just mark functions that are not for export as
static and the compiler will now have a large range of optimizations
that it can automatically perform, including but not limited to inlining
them. This is a case where having support/helper functions in the same
.c file as the exportable functions that use them makes a great deal of
sense. The key word in the original statement was exportabe:
Yeah, except putting all your functions in one file goes against the very nature of proper software development strategies. First off, you should be running a profiler anyways is performance is important. If you're not, then you're not very well educated in the field of work.

That aside, the profiler will tell you where time is spent. Yes, giving the compiler the option to inline or not is "ideal" but putting 100K of lines in a single file is not.

This is why you should re-factor your code as to contain only one [or as
few as possible] exportable functions per unit.

In general the compiler can do the best job when it can see everything
at once, which is why currently so much work is being poured into
developing the LTO branch, which will allow the compiler do certain
optimizations as if the entire program was a single compilation unit
even though it was compiled separately.
Often the savings, especially on desktop/server class processors from the minutia of optimizations possible at that level do not out weigh the cost to the development process.

For example, in my math library the modexp function calls an external mul, sqr, and mod functions (well montgomery reduction but you get the point). So even though they're not inlined (well they're big so they wouldn't anyways) and you have the overhead of a call, the performance is still 99% dominated by what happens inside the calls, not by the call itself. In my case, my multipliers are fully unrolled/inlined since that's where the performance is to be had. So it was worth the readability cost (well they're machine generated anyways) for it.

I question the sanity of a LTO step (if indeed that means it re-organizes the object code at link time). It'll make debugging harder when supposedly non-inlined code gets inlined, or other nasties (e.g. picking up a constant from another module then removing dead code, etc).

I think most people would prefer their object files to be representative of the compiler input.

Tom