Re: reduce compilation times?

J.C. Pizarro wrote:
> It's the same problem of "Nine Woman Can't Have a Baby in One Month"
>
> "Nine Cores Can't Reduce a Compilation of 9 Seconds to One Second"

In case the project is composed of reasonably sized files and the number
of those files is sufficient the parallel build gives good scalability.
The "make -j" option is a very powerful tool not only in terms of
compilation. We have been using this also for rendering and other time
consuming jobs. It basically allows you to build in parallel any target
described in a Makefile. Implementation of MPI based plugin module for
GNU Make (the -j option comes with a well defined interface to spawn the
"threads" and it is easy to implement that for any MPI or even socket
interconnected number of hosts) in combination with shared file system
has allowed us to build various time consuming projects on computer
clusters gaining almost linear scaling.

Vladimir