This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: reduce compilation times?
- From: Tim Prince <tprince at computer dot org>
- To: John Love-Jensen <eljay at adobe dot com>
- Cc: mahmoodn <nt_mahmood at yahoo dot com>, MSX to GCC <gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:59:28 -0800
- Subject: Re: reduce compilation times?
- References: <C371679A.firstname.lastname@example.org>
John Love-Jensen wrote:
> Hi mahmoodn,
>> I mean (I think):
>> "Allow N jobs at once" != "reduce compile time"
> Reduces my project's overall compile time on my machine, by a factor of 4.
Might do that on a quad core. A dual core with HyperThreading enabled
approaches a factor of 3. OP wants magic without qualification as to
Selective optimizations also are important; use -O3 only where it is useful.