RE: Questions for GCC

Hi Jakob,

GCC, in-and-of-itself, is a compiler.  Linkers are not directly part of GCC.  Even the Standard C Library is a separate project.  Hence and likewise, the Windows API is outside the immediate domain of GCC as well.

There is a GCC built for Windows that supports the Windows API.  So it's everything in one bundle.  It is called MinGW.

http://www.mingw.org/

There are a variety of IDE's for MinGW already available.  (But you are at liberty to write your own, too.)

http://www.mingw.org/links.shtml

Alternatively, Cygwin provides a pleasant Unix-like environment for Windows, and distributes MinGW as a Cygwin package.  Where you can use the other familiar IDEs such as emacs or vim for development.

http://www.cygwin.com/

Other Unix-like environments to Windows include MKS, Interix, and MS-SFU.  I have less experience with those, and prefer Cygwin, but those are the ones I'm aware of, that are stable and used.  And I have heard good things about them from those who use them.

HTH,
--Eljay