RE: gfortan requires old directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or else gmp error

Poor Yorick wrote:

> Why does the newly-compiled gfortran need this old path in
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to function?

It looks like it's because you built shared-library-only versions of GMP and MPFR with the old compiler which now depend on the old compiler's runtime libraries. gfortran depends on GMP and MPFR and so you must have the old compiler's runtime libraries in your path to run gfortran.

One solution might be to replace your GMP and MPFR .sos with new versions built with your new compiler. Alternatively you could make sure you have static versions of them and rebuild GCC 4.2, checking it picks up the static versions not the shared libraries which should not have the dependence.

(This guesswork based on the error messages, I'm not familiar with how GCC links against GMP and MPFR - apologies if I'm wrong!)

Rup.