Difficulties with creating a cross compiler

Hi, we are trying to create a simple cross compler. We are trying to do it for ARM, but none of the cross compiler configs appear to work.

The issue is that the config/make creates a "as" under the "host-xxx" directory (the host tools directory) that consists of a script file:

#!/bin/sh
exec  "$@"

Which then produces errors when xgcc attempts to execute it.

The typical config parameters we have tried are:

--target arm-elf

After searching the help archives, the closest I came to a solution there was the statement that /usr/local must be writable, and the solution given was to use the --prefix to set the result area. This didn't help the issue.

This is with the latest gcc, gcc-4.2.1, but it was observed with several other versions as well.

Why does gcc make create this batch file "as" on cross compilers?

Thank you.

---