Re: GCC 4.2.1 build issue on Solaris 5.9 ?

Hi Eljay,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I tried to build gcc in an empty directory as mentioned in configure.html, but I got the same error.

Commands I used to build gcc are :

cd /users6/chaos/greg
rm -r gcc-4.2.1 usr
mkdir usr gcc-4.2.1-objdir
gtar xvzf gcc-4.2.1.tar.gz
mkdir gcc-4.2.1-objdir
cd gcc-4.2.1-objdir
../gcc-4.2.1/configure --prefix=/users6/chaos/greg/usr
make

Now, there is no need to patch the compare target in the Makefile.

Grégoire AVOT.

John Love-Jensen wrote:
Hi Grégoire,

./configure

Unless something has changed for 4.2.1 that I'm unaware, this is not supported -- and not recommended -- as per the configuration instructions:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

I do not know if the warnings you are running into are related or not.

If you want to try to configure and build in a different directory from the
source tree directory structure, you will need to un-tar the source fresh,
since the GCC source may be in a corrupted state.

HTH,
--Eljay