Re: Average number of instructions per line of kernel code

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Mohamed Bamakhrama wrote:

I have a question regarding the average number of assembly
instructions per line of kernel code. I know that this is a difficult
question since it depends on many factors such as the instruction set
architecture, compiler used, optimizations used, type of code, coding
style, etc...
I would like to know a rough estimate for such a quantity for the
kernel 2.4/2.6 code running on MIPS32 architecture compiled using GCC.
My estimate is between 5-10 instructions. I googled for such a thing
but couldn't find any useful papers/resources.

I don't understand what use this metric is.

For starters, not all lines are created equal.  Not all lines contain
code, not all lines with code produce output (hint: dead code).  Not all
lines contain a single statement, etc....

I understand that it doesn't sound interesting at all for programmers. Nevertheless, this metric is interesting for hardware architects since it gives you a hint about the instruction cache behavior of your code. If somehow you know how many instructions can result from one statement *on average*, then it can help you somehow in calculating optimal parameters for the cache (assuming that you can find the length of the basic blocks within your C code).

Wow... We have reached the point where we're designing hardware for software rather than the other way around. Am I the only one who finds that really backwards and wrong?

Gordan