Re: compile errors from gcc

D Macean wrote:
Gentlemen:

I have a small source lq100.c that I have compiled in the past with earlier versions of gcc.

gcc lq100.c produces: error: stdio.h does not exist
                                     error  EOF undeclared.

This trouble follows downloading Debian 4.0 via NETINSTALL.
gcc -print-prog-name=cc1 yields /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/cc1 which also contains some headers but not stdio.h

The system also contains the two empty directories
/lib/i486-linux-gnu/ and
/usr/lib/i486-linux-gnu/
which I presume are there because the file

/etc/ld.so.conf.d/i486-linux-gnu.conf

lists the two above empty files.

It has always been a mystery to me where the header files come from and the horrible configuration produced by NETINSTAL has forced me to think a bit more about this matter. If there is a simple remedy could you please let me know!
The standard C headers and the standard C libraries will come with the "C library", not with GCC ! In the Linux case the
used C library is called "glibc" aka "GNU C library"... A default Linux install may install only the "runtime" parts of the C
library - those "shared libraries" - but not any "development" (also called as "compile time" and "link time") parts :-(

So what you should still install is some "glibc-devel-<something>.deb" package which is in sync with your current runtime
parts in '/lib', like the '/lib/libc.so.6' there....

Thanking you in anticipation
Donald Macvean