Re: Robust detection of endianness at compile time.

MIPS could do big endian or little endian, as I recall.  It was up to
the OS/hardware to select which.

I can't remember which flavor OSF/1 used on the MIPS.  Same as Ultrix,
no doubt.  I don't remember what ultrix used, either. Probably same as
Vax...oh yeah. ;-)

		--Dean

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Tim Prince wrote:

> Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > Andrew Haley <aph-gcc@littlepinkcloud.COM> writes:
> >

> >> AC_C_BIGENDIAN is for integers.  As far as I am aware the PDP/ARM
> >> "middle-endian" problem only applies to floating-point words, and the
> >> situation for those is far more complex than mere endianness.  Not
> >> every platform supports the IEEE-754 format, and picking apart other
> >> formats requires special-case programming.  Happily, this isn't a
> >> problem that most people have to solve.
> >>
> Plauger's "Standard C Library" used short data types throughout when
> manipulating float and double, as VAX/ MIPS style data were still in
> fairly widespread use.  I guess a phase of history has passed when no
> one invokes the way VAX and MIPS did things.  Plauger's code would have
> worked for PDP; I wasn't aware of ARM floating point.

617 344 9000