Help configuring gcc

Hi,

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question, but I couldn't find any suitable forums.

I am trying to fathom the installation procedure for gcc-core and gcc-g++ on Windows XP and I think I must be missing something. So far I have done the following:

- I have installed a programme called MSyS onto my machine. Which seems to give me a posix style command line that I can run. I have installed this in C:Program Files\msys.
- I then installed a programme called MingW32, which I believe to be a c-compiler in binary form. Now as I understand things gcc is itself a c-compiler, so I don't really understand why this step is needed. If someone can compile a c-compiler elsewhere (MingW32) then why can't they compile gcc in the same way, or am I missing something. Anyway, for reasons I can no longer remember I installed MingW32 in a subdirectory of the msys folder, i.e. C:Program Files\msys\1.0\mingw, I no longer know whether this was accidental or intentional.
- I then downloaded the gcc-core.tar.bz2 and gcc-g++.tar.bz2 and copied these into my home directory under msys, so C:Program Files\msys\1.0\home\Luke in windows parlance, but this appears as /home/Luke or simply ~ in msys command line.
- I unzipped them both into a gcc-4.2.0 folder, and then created a subdirectory srcdir and moved all the unzipped files and folders into this directory. Then made another directory objdir. So my home directory now looks like this

/home/Luke/gcc-4.2.0
|---------- srcdir
| |-------- ...
| \-------- <all the other files/folders from the tarballs>

\---------- objdir

- Then I try to run configure and I get the following error: Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/srcdir $ cd ../objdir/

Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/objdir
$ ../srcdir/configure loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Now I understand what this is telling me. It is telling me that there is no binary file called gcc or cc which can be used, because the path doesn't point towards any folder that contains such a binary. But the reason I am doing all this is to get a gcc compiler. It is all very confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the issue. I have looked for a suitable gcc file under mingw32 but this didn't seem to come with one.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Luke