RE: i686-gcc vs i586-Suse Linux

> That depends on the processor the poster is using.  If it's an i686,
> everything will be fine.  But the poster didn't tell us.
>
> Andrew.

A good point indeed. As the owner of a still-functioning 10-year old
laptop with a pentium processor I should not assume that others always
have the same processor as that which I have SUSe running on. (the
laptop's running a slackware 10 distro)

How much does it matter whether the gcc is built with i686 options
versus i586 or even i386, assuming you're actually using i686 type of
processor, if you then use that gcc to build an application using i686
options?