Re: Newbie question

Takatsugu Kobayashi wrote:
I migrated from windows to Fedora6 linux a few months ago, and am still learning to make the best out of this fantastic OS....

Welcome aboard!

I just installed GSL for my statistical research, but I installed it on a different folder than the one I wa supposed to. I should have installed /usr/include directory rather than /usr/local/include. So I should specify the path to this usr/local/inlcude/gsl everytime I run C/C++.

I wouldn't recommend that... packages put things in /usr, whereas things you built yourself default to /usr/local unless told otherwise. Keeping this separation has two positive effects: you can tell what is source-built and what isn't, and updating packages doesn't nuke things that have been source-built (ok, possibly a disadvantage, but more predictable).

This is very simple newbie question, but how to specify the path in the process of ./configure, make, make install etc? I could just copy and paste all the files in the gsl directory in /usr/local/include to /usr/include by the chmod command....

/usr/local/include should be searched by default, you should never have to specify it. If the problem is the 'gsl' you could create symlinks in /usr/local/include (or even /usr/include) to /usr/local/include/gsl/*, but I wouldn't copy/move files.

--
Matthew
"Still the prettiest." -- Legolas