-fshort-wchar not working

hi all,
I need a 16 bit unicode support in my toolchain as one of my application needs 16 bit unicode support .... But after building the ARM9tdmi toolchain , i performed a series of wchar tests like wprintf tests , wscanfs tests etc . This tests are working fine with default 32 bit wide wchar mode ... once i enabled -fshort-wchar switch as mentioned in man page which tell this convert the 32 bit wchar to 16 bit wide all my test case of wprintf and wscanf are failing ... can u please let me know ... what should be done to enable 16 bit wide character support in toolchain.
Thanking in Advance

with regards,
Anandkumar C B