Re: Doc is misleading

David Daney wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
To whoever maintains the doc: we really should add something like "Note that the order of objects, including libraries specified by -l, DOES matter on some platforms.", perhaps with an even longer explanation as well such as what was in my previous post.

Perhaps reading this would be helpful:

http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.17/ld/Options.html

I think it explains how it works.

I don't care if it gives a 500 page dissertation on the meaning of life. :-) 'info gcc' says this:

<quote>
 You can mix options and other arguments.  For the most part, the order
you use doesn't matter.  Order does matter when you use several options
of the same kind; for example, if you specify `-L' more than once, the
directories are searched in the order specified.
</quote>

...which IMO is misleading and should be fixed. While it might be nice if we did, I don't think it is critical that we explain things here in depth, as long as we /avoid/ giving the impression that no explanation is needed, and that things work a particular way /which is wrong/. Two or three sentences would be a great convenience, but even just /one/ could save a lot of headaches.

--
Matthew
"Ah, yes. Control the media and you control the world."