Starting programs How?

Have been using VisualStudio ( 6 & 8) for several years. I am not satisfied with the stuff that comes out of MSFT.

I have tried for several years (occassionally) to get into a different area -- and I have not discovered the secret to beginning. At present I have Boost; gcc compiler; cygwin; gimp; STAF; STAX; VS6; and VS8; in the hdd that runs WinXP. I am unable to find a place to start any of the programs, projects, or whatever, except the VS6 and VS8. I have the manuals from gcc. Hundreds of pages, many not be relevant. And nowhere does it tell how to institute any of the programs.

For example: How do you get the gcc-4.1.2 to do anything?

Is there a program editor here anywhere? If so how do you call it up? (Other than the VS6 or 8)

How do I get any of this stuff to work together with any of the other stuff?

Basically I have a workable program that XP will not run. Is there a way to move all the files from the VS6 and rework it somewhere else? Bear in mind that the program I have involves some 40 odd files.

Can anyone give me anything that will help -- even the way to institute any of these outfits. I can probably figure how to make the program work if there is a starting place.

Thanks,

Bob Bailey
hooksbetty@sbcglobal.net