Re: version of gcc and auto-vectorization

http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/vectorization.html#status4.0
> >  it is said that gcc 4.0 also does
> > "auto-vectorization".
> > Deos it mean auto-vectorization cababilities of
> gcc4.0
> > and gcc4.1/4.2 are same??
>
> No, it is under active development and is enhanced
> in each release.
>
> > 3)-ftree-vectorize is the flag that enables
> > autovectorization. isn't it??
>
> Yes.
>
> > 4) where can I get C programs for which gcc can do
> > autovectorization and for which it cant?
>
> There are test cases in gcc/testsuite/gcc.dg/vect.
What does auto-vectorization mean??
I think it must be converting 'for' loops which does
not exploit SIMD features of a processor(say Pentium
4) to 'for' loops which exploit SIMD features(of
course, it could be at any intermediate
representation).

I have taken vect-40.c in that directory and compiled
as "gcc -march=pentium4 -S -O3 -ftree-vectorize
vect-40.c". I looked at the assembly code. No
MMX/SSE/SSE2 instructions were there.
(I have gcc-4.1.2 installed in my P.C. and my
processor is Pentium4.)

What can gcc do? Can it produce MMX/SSE/SSE2
instructions even if the source file(.c) does not use
any functions defined in
mmintrin.h/xmmintrin.h/emmintrin.h????
If so, did I miss any other option while compiling?
Thanks in advance.