relocation errors

Dear Sir,

I am using a 64-bit AMD apteron cluster with 8 GB RAM (RHEL platform).
I face "relocation overflow" and "relocation truncated to fit errors"
when I compile big fortran 77 codes using f77/g77 (even with ifort and
pathf95) on it. Though it compiles successfully it cannot assemble or
link the executables. I understand this may be because of large arrays
or so. But the executable size is not more than 2GB. so I could not
run my codes with large dimensions.

Can you please tell me what options I can use while compiling these
kind of codes. Sometimes, ulimit command or -m32 option  worked but
when I run the executable it simply dumps the core. Please suggest me
what can I do to get rid of these problems?.

Note:
The gcc version I am using is gcc-3.2.3-42

Thanks in advance.
--
H.S.Nataraj,

Telephone : +9180-25530672 extn:273