Re: AMD Geode processor optimisations for GCC 3.4.4

Frans Grotepass wrote:

Hi all.

We use Linux in an embedded solution. We use the Elinos suite to create trimmed down distributions. The suite has GCC-3.4.4 as compiler. Since we use some image processing, I would like to check the advantages in using possible compiler optimisations for the Geode. What are the optimal choice for the Geode within GCC-3.4.4?

I'd try -mtune=k6 and -mtune=pentium2 or analogous -mcpu. K6 is probably closer to geode except for aligning. Geode is less sensitive to alignment so you could try to use -falign-{function,jump...}=0 and get smaller size which is pretty important for embedded solution.

As for fp performance, I don't know what to advice because pipeline of geode is different from k6 and i686 (pentium2). Only benchmarking you application will tell you what to use.