I want to ask a problem about libgcc.a and -fPIC

Our architecture is arm-like,and our gcc version is 3.2.1
I found the libgcc.a in gcc consists of some .oS files which are compiled with -fPIC option
and I found that the -fPIC option would result in some problems in some programs static linking these .oS files
I want to ask that should the -fPIC option be appropriate here?

Chen Yin
chenyin@mprc.pku.edu.cn
Microprocessor Research&development Center
Peking University