Re: Default 32 bit output

> John (Eljay) Love-Jensen wrote:
>> The "../configure" part means it won't work, since you cannot build
>> GCC in the GCC source directory, nor any subdirectory thereof, and
>> that the GCC source should be rm'd and re-untar'd
>>
> Is this some kind of stupid joke or what?  What on earth it does matter
> where the self-made $build directory is?
> What on earth reason the GCC build has to expect or care about something
> below the $build directory?  People
> should be free to choose their (originally empty) $build directory to be
> anywhere they like it be!
>
> I myself have NEVER since gcc-2.95 which allowed building in the sources
> itself, used anything else than a
> subdirectory in the main GCC sources, for instance 'gcc-4.1.1/build' in
> the gcc-4.1.1 case.   And have NEVER
> seen any problems with this!  Maybe because I have built only 1000 or
> some hundreds more than that GCCs
> during that 'past 2.95' time :-(
>
> What are the problems I should see?
It is unsupported way of doing things.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
------
First, we highly recommend that GCC be built into a separate directory
than the sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is
how we generally build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir should still
work, but doesn't get extensive testing; building where objdir is a
subdirectory of srcdir is unsupported.
------

Arturas M.