Re: G++ not created with gcc 4.0.3

"Shin, John Y CONTRACTOR WRAIR-Wash DC" wrote:

> I compiled and installed gcc 4.0.3 on an Octane 2 SGI machine running
> IRIX 6.5.25f with binutils 2.17.  However, I do not see g++ or g77 in my
> usr/local/bin directory, although gcc and cpp are there.  I configured
> gcc before bootstrapping with the following flags:

Note that you will never see g77 with any gcc version >= 4 as it no
longer exists.  The new Fortran front end is gfortran, and g77 ceased to
exist as of the 3.x series.

> For bootstrapping, I used gcc 3.3 (located in a different directory).
> If I omit the --enable-languages flag, isn't gcc supposed to configure
> all the default languages?  If I go into the "gcc" directory of my GCC
> 4.0.3 source tree and type:
>         grep language= */config-lang.in
>
> I get the following message:
>         language="treelang"

That does seem a bit strange.  Are you using the modular source tarballs
by accident?  The source is available as both a monolithic tarball
(gcc-x.y.z.tar.bz2) and as modular components (gcc-core-x.y.z.tar.bz2,
gcc-g++-x.y.z.tar.bz2, gcc-fortran-x.y.z.tar.bz2, etc.)  The behavior
you are seeing looks like what would happen if you only extracted the
gcc-core package which contains only the C language compiler (and
apparently treelang as well.)  If you want more than just C you need to
either use the monolithic tarball or overlay the other desired languages
on top of the contents of gcc-core.

Brian