libgcc_s dependency when linking with -shared

I have a 3rd party library that doesn't want to play nice with libgcc_s.so.
My problem is that I need to link my application as a shared .so module, but
as soon as you do that with "gcc -shared", the resulting .so becomes
dependent on libgcc_s.so (as revealed by ldd).

I am currently using gcc 3.3.2 on Solaris 8 X86 Intel machine.  I have tried
gcc 3.4.2 with the same results.  I tried gcc 2.95.3 but the third party
library uses C++ STL and it won't link at all when using gcc 2.95.

Is there a way I can get gcc to create a shared library .so module that does
NOT depend on libgcc_s.so?