Re: --gc-sections on x86

On Dec 5, 2006, at 4:13 AM, Gabriel Linder wrote:

Brian Dessent wrote:
This testcase may not be actually showing you what you want. You have
to balance the extra overhead of having a section for each function
against the savings, and in this case the function being removed is
completely trivial. When you're looking at a 2800 byte ELF file the
noise (headers, padding, etc) is going to overwhelm everything. Try a
more realistic testcase.
Well, that was a trivial testcase, as you said. In real life I have a lot of .c files with generic functions, but not all of them are used by all binaries I build. So I search for a way to clean out unused functions between modules, if possible.

The --gc-sections trick was found after some search, I found also a "set inline function size to 0 and enable inlining" hint (on RedHat lists, if I remember correctly) but none of them works.

It seems like if you had to, you could analyze the output of nm of the object files -- maybe even the final compiled program. nm will tell you where symbols are defined and reference.

Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems