installing gcc

I have never used Gcc before and I am trying to install it on Windows XP and
having problems understanding the process

I have downloaded the source files for V4.1.1 and I refer to the directory it
creates.

The installation notes seem to state I should do a configuration like
?configure --prefix=C:\gccwin? to set the object directory to gccwin (the
name of the directoy I have chosen). There is a file called configure but this
is not an executable file so this process does not work. I tried this throug
the DOS window.

I understand the next thing to do is to ?make boostrap? but again there is
no executable file called ?make?.

Can you point me in the correct direction to start this process of building a
native Gcc complier before I build a cross complier. I have read all the
install instructions but cant comprehned them.

Thanks

Lachlan

This message was sent using Adam Internet Webmail.