Including static libraries

*Hello,
im creating a shared library. and trying to link it to a static library with extentions of the form video.a470MV.
im including the whole path of the library in the LDFLAGS (/home/sameersbn/libs/video.a470MV)
these are included in the Makefile.am file.
when the linking is done, no errors are flashed and the linking procedure completes without complains. but if i run the nm command on the library created, i dont see any symbols of the static library in the symbol table.
instead if i extract the .o470MV file from the static library and rename them to .o and archive it as .a and do the linking again, then it works fine and the symbol table shows the new symbol entries.
i would like to know how to get my .a470MV libraries to successfully get linked into my new library.
plz help

thanks in advance
tc
sameer