Compilation troubles

Good Morning,

Recently I've been trying to set up a cross compiler for gcc using version 2.95.3 supplied to me from a hardware vendor. The target is a Samsung S3C2410, and the host computer has been both a Windows XP (home and Pro) machine running cygwin, and an SUSE Linux 10.1 machine.

After following the vendor's instructions on installing the toolchains, I have tried to run a simple "hello world" program on each platform and every time I receive the error "unable to exec 'cpp0': no such file or directory".

I have used -print-search-dirs and find that the location where gcc looks for its executables seems to be the same place where cpp0 is located, except for the '/opt/' at the start of the path name - I assume this might be a gcc method of defining the root directory?

Searching the internet I found some other people having the same problem, and it seemed to suggest that it was due to an incorrect installation, although considering I did not build it in the first place, it came from the vendor themselves, and the fact it has failed twice on seperate platforms seems to suggest otherwise. Another fault may lie in the manufacturer's installation instructions, but this idea seems suspect also.

Lastly, I have considered building a new platform from scratch using a recent version of GCC, but I might not have the compilation tools to do this currently, and I would much prefer a solution which might fix my current GCC installation.

Any advice on what may be the cause of the problem will be greatly appreciated, I hope you may be able to help!! Please let me know if I am able to provide any more information that could help determine the cause of the problem.

Peter

Be the first to hear what's new at MSN - sign up to our free newsletters! http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters