Re: regarding privilege levels of pentium 4

Hi Ranjith,

I might be wrong on this, but I think the question is, if the Operating System permits it or under which circumstances. It's neither a question of what gcc or the hardware does, but what the OS you are using allows to which processes.
It might be, you need 'just' root priviledges, but I'd rather assume, that you need to be within the kernel's context, since a cli command endangers system stability (it could lead to a lock up) ...

Regards

-Sven

ranjith kumar wrote:
Hi,

How can we tell at what privilege level a program is running. Is it possible to run a program at privilege level 'zero' on a processor like Pentium 4.

   Actually I want to disable interrupts while running
my program. This
can be done by "cli" instruction. Using "asm inline"
feature of GCC, we
can include assembly instructions  in programs of C,
C++...etc.

    But the problem is that "cli" instruction can be
executed only at
privilege level "zero".

Can anyone help me.

Thanking you.