RE: use multiple versions

 > Sven Eschenberg wrote:
>
> Jim Ernsberger wrote:
> > compiling and installing a different versions now I have no
> idea how I can
> > get them into my envirement so ./configure will use the new
> version of gcc.
> >
> > Suggestions and directions are welcomed.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Jim
> >
> a configure --help issues:
>
> Some influential environment variables:
>   CC          C compiler command

Most of the time you don't even need that. Just make sure the compiler
and binutils you want are in the PATH!

Set the PATH to the compiler and then run ./configure.

>   CFLAGS      C compiler flags
>   LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have
> libraries in a
>               nonstandard directory <lib dir>
>   CPPFLAGS    C/C++ preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir>
> if you have
>               headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>

If you have headers or libraries in a nonstandard directory, you can
teach gcc about that directory when you're building it, so that the gcc
front end knows about it.