Re: Linker Problem Help Required

Manish Baphna wrote:
Hi ,

I am Manish, a SW engr from INDIA .
I found some threads about linking error on
gcc.gnu.org while searching for some trouble I am
facing . I couldn't  see the exact solution so thought
of mailing to this maillist. I would appreciate if you
can spare some time in replying to me.
I am trying to build a DLL using

bash>> g++ -g -shared -o Me.dll <Various ".o"s/ ".a"s>

But when use that DLL , my program crashes because
some symbols are not resoved. bash> ld Me.dll
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not
setting start address
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__pure_virtual'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `endl(ostream &)'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__rtti_user'
Me.dll: undefined reference to
`ostream::operator<<(ostream &(*)(ostream &))'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__rtti_si'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__rethrow'
Me.dll: undefined reference to
`ostream::operator<<(char const *)'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `terminate(void)'
Me.dll: undefined reference to
`ostream::operator<<(int)'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__builtin_delete'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `__builtin_new'
Me.dll: undefined reference to `cout'

These things started popping up when I moved to
gcc323. Initially I was using gcc2.95 and everything
was fine. I have already built all dependent
archive/object files using gcc3.2.3.

Check that you are picking up the shared libraries at run time which correspond with the gcc version you compiled with. There is no compatibility between shared libraries of different major gcc versions, even though they may have the same name. If you have more than one version installed, you would need to make certain that the correct one comes first on the library search path. gcc has its own search path for compiling, but that path would not be "remembered" at run time.