Re: Understand cross compiling

Kai, I originally had -DCPU=MC68030 option in gcc, in
which Suse compiles it. I don't know why, but I got
rid of the option. I simply use -m68030 in which I get
the same expected error. This is precisouly the reason
it wasn't immediately obvious to me that my "stock"
gcc couldn't compile other processors - since it
compiled anyways.

I'm not sure if you were telling me to stay away from
attempting to build my own toolchain, or simply
commenting on the education problem that myself and
many others have where they don't understand the basic
idea of cross compiling. Anyways, since a few people
were telling me different than what all the documents
I'm learning from, I was confused. I am not an
embedded engineer. Sometimes it only takes a little
wrong information to screw you all up when starting
out. Thanks Kai and Ian for the help.