ARM Assembler

I have installed the GCC toolset for the ARM processor and have tried test
compiling a few files.  One of the files uses the debug co-processor port
(CP14) assembly instructions and I am having difficulty getting the syntax
correct for use with the GCC ARM Assembler.  The line of code is:

     __asm ("MRC             p14, 0, status, c0, c1, 0");

This is just a slightly modified syntax from what works with the ARM RVDS
toolset (these files are examples from ARM).  The assembler error is that
it expects an ARM register to be specified in the command.  I'm assuming
that it is complaining about "c0" and "c1" which are registers associated
with the debug port.  The target processor is the 1136JF-S but I have not
been able to find a register definition file for it anywhere.  Even if I
did, I'm not sure that the assembler would know anything about it when
parsing this command.  I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you,

Tom Lillevig