Re: gcc -print-search-dirs

Sisyphus wrote:
Hi,
On my linux (mandrake-9.1) box the command 'gcc -print-search-dirs' fails to
produce the output I expect. For some reason '/usr/local/lib' (or indeed
*any* location under the '/usr/local/' tree) doesn't get a mention - though
libraries that exist *only* in /usr/local/lib are definitely being found by
default (ie without having to provide the '-L/usr/local/lib' switch).

That command tells where that particular installation of gcc looks for its own libraries. If you make separate installations of various versions of gcc (or other compilers), each must avoid using the files, possibly of the same name, belonging to others.