Compiling applications for the new SMP processors

Hi,

I'm a newbie here. A friend of mine got a new dual core processor
laptop. I was wondering if compiling standard applications using gcc
will build binaries which can fully utilize the hardware - 686
instruction set with SMP. I'm assuming here that the application is
multithreaded.
If it does, is there an flag to be passed during compile time?

thanks,
Jerin

--
http://jerinj.blogspot.com/