Build Problems: AIX 5.2, GCC 4.0.2, xlC 8.0

Hi,

I am not sure what to include to make this report usable. Please ask me for whatever extra info you need.

I have a fresh clean AIX 5.2 install (no updates). I have a fresh clean gcc 4.0.2 from a tar ball. My starting compiler is xlC version 8.

I use the script below to compile. Eventually I get this message:

Comparing stage2 and stage3 of the compiler
   ... SNIP ...
Bootstrap comparison failure!
./fold-const.o differs

Bugzilla Bug 17777 is this same problem. It was closed; looks like folks were eventually not able to recreate it. I don't know if I should reopen it -- I don't know if I can even. I've never done that.

I capture the config and make output so I have the whole log to review. FYI, I have three fold-const.o's in my build directory at this point and they all have a different size and checksum.

It may be key that I have applied no updates to this version of AIX.

I'll likely try and download a working copy of gcc to bootstrap from and move on. But I'm happy to help try and debug this.

Thank you for your help,
Perry
----------------- compile script ----------
#!/bin/sh

ulimit -S -d unlimited
export CONFIG_SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
( ../gcc-4.0.2/configure -v \
--disable-nls \
--with-libiconv-prefix=/usr \
--enable-languages=c,c++ && echo "configure returned $?" ) > C-OUT 2>&1
echo CONFIG COMPLETE -- STARTING MAKE
echo CONFIG COMPLETE -- STARTING MAKE
echo CONFIG COMPLETE -- STARTING MAKE
echo CONFIG COMPLETE -- STARTING MAKE
echo CONFIG COMPLETE -- STARTING MAKE
( gmake bootstrap && echo "gmake returned $?" ) > M-OUT 2>&1 &