32-bit memory models

I'm looking for a definitive answer, and I can't seem to find anything in the docs on this... Does GCC/G++ support segment:offset (48-bit) pointers for protected mode 32-bit programming on 32-bit Intel processors?  I'd like to use a "compact" memory model, where code is "near" (in the same segment), but data pointers are "far" (by default, with an option to explicitly override using a "near/far" keyword modifier.  This is similar to traditional 16-bit memory models (Intel ABI), except that the offsets are full 32-bits and segments don't necessarily refer to overlapping memory space.  The reason I'm looking to do this is that I want to develop an OS feature using security provided via the LDT, and I'd like to avoid having to revert to assembler every time I need to look at memory using a different selector.  (If this topic is in the documentation, please point me to the right place!)

   Thanks,
      Mike