Re: Java AWT and Swing support of GCJ

Hello, sorry to bother you with a probably silly question but the web pages you offer are really TOUGH to see through if you "just" want to try something with GCJ.

My team is working on a big applet to display a lot of graphics as one step in the workflow of a web application, so a lot of server communication involved, too.

I have tried using the JET compiler and was successful, but now the size of the native-compiled applet code is a big issue. So I was ordered to investigate further if GCJ could be an alternative.
A few months ago when I started this task, I stopped investigating GCJ because your pages seem to say "not much AWT support and no SWING support yet".

Yes, I'll make sure this page is updated to more accurately reflect our current status.

Now my question before I dig deeper into GCC and GCJ is: Is this statement true? Will I get problems displaying AWT dialog elements and java-2D drawings in a GCJ-generated executable? If so, what is the time frame when those tasks will be addressed in depth?

The AWT on the GTK peer set is done. Java2D is currently under heavy development. It should be done in the next three-to-six months.

Tom