libmudflap build or configuration problems

I'm trying to build the minimal hello-world project from

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gsc/branches/hello-world/

and I haven't yet gotten it to build with gcc 4.1.0.

Doing a clean build in a separate directory with only c and hello-world
enabled, gcc seems to build and install fine but the install for
hello-world terminates with:

---
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/laurence/Projects/Kinetic/GCCFront/gcc-4.1.0-objdir/libiberty/testsuite'
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/laurence/Projects/Kinetic/GCCFront/gcc-4.1.0-objdir/libiberty'
/bin/sh: line 0: cd: i686-pc-linux-gnu/libmudflap: No such file or
directory
make[1]: *** [install-target-libmudflap] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/laurence/Projects/Kinetic/GCCFront/gcc-4.1.0-objdir'
make: *** [install] Error 2
---

I don't know enough about GCC to say, but my guess was that libmudflap
(whatever it is) is needed but isn't getting built, so I poked around,
and indeed the only files in the build directory whose names contain
'mudflap' are

./gcc/tree-mudflap.o
./gcc/tree-nomudflap.o
./gcc/gt-tree-mudflap.h

Here is the Make-lang.in I used, copied directly from hello-world (with
a target added that the build system seemed to look for, a possible sign
of trouble I suppose):

---
#
# Copyright (C) 2005 - Rafael <C3><81>vila de Esp<C3><AD>ndola
# <rafael.espindola@gmail.com>,
#                      Rafael Dantas de Castro
#                      <rafael.castro@gmail.com>,
#                      Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <barbieri@gmail.com>
#
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
#
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307
# USA
#

hello-world: hello1$(exeext)

hello1$(exeext): hello-world/hello1.o $(BACKEND) $(LIBSDEPS)
        $(CC) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(LDFLAGS) -lm -o $@ hello-world/hello1.o
$(BACKEND) $(LIBS) attribs.o

hello-world/hello1.o: hello-world/hello1.c $(CONFIG_H) $(SYSTEM_H) \
        coretypes.h $(TM_H) toplev.h $(GGC_H) $(CGRAPH_H) \
        $(LANGHOOKS_DEF_H) langhooks.h \
        tree.def gt-hello-world-hello1.h gtype-hello-world.h

hello-world.srcextra:
hello-world.all.cross:
hello-world.start.encap:
hello-world.rest.encap:
hello-world.tags:
hello-world.info:
hello-world.man:
hello-world.install-common:
hello-world.install-man:
hello-world.srcinfo:
hello-world.srcman:
hello-world.uninstall:
hello-world.stage1:
hello-world.stage2:
hello-world.stage3:
hello-world.stage4:
hello-world.stageprofile:
hello-world.stagefeedback:
hello-world.mostlyclean:
hello-world.clean:
hello-world.distclean:
hello-world.maintainer-clean:

# Added by Dustin because the build system seemed to need it
hello-world.install-normal:
---

Thanks for any insight.  I'll supply the other files on request, or any
other information that seems relevant.

Dustin