No Instructions available on how to install Gfortran in Linux on your website.

Hello,
I'm a programmer/developer of 20+ years mostly in FORTRAN & COBOL, C, C++ and some Windows apps.
I'm TRYING to get off the Windows platform completely. I installed Suse Linux 10, and I want to install this GFORTRAN complier package that you have on your website. (The OSS version of Suse 10 didn't have the fortran compiler included, but the retail version does).

I downloaded "gfortran-linux.tar.gz" from gcc.gnu.org , unzipped it into a local directory, but at the risk of screwing up my install, don't know what to do with it.
It "appears" as if I could simply unzip the files into their respective directories, then on the other hand I was reading in some documentation online, that I would have to "do a build on GCC". I have GCC-4.0.2_20050901-3 if thats any help.

What do I do with the files I unzipped??

I noticed that in the Windows version, you have not only a self-extracting .exe, but instructions on how to install as well.

Are there any instructions for installing this in Linux? I've spent a lot of time looking, but I'm almost ready to bag it and use the built in C++.

MANY thanks in advance.

R.Kelih