Re: compile choices changing results

Hello -

We need more information:

- what version of which OS are you using?
- what version of GCC?
- what hardware/CPU architecture are you running on?
- is 'cc' actually an alias or symlink for 'gcc', or is it another compiler altogether? Even if 'cc' points to a different version of GCC, that can be significant.

Semi-educated guess - are you compiling for x86?

Neil.

Julie Stern wrote:
Hello,
   I'm running some code which came with a makefile
containing -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops
and the program results were drastically different from
running with just cc. (yes, right now its an unfair
comparison, cc vs. gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops),
but I didn't expect the results to be different.
   Can anyone explain what the compiler options actually
do in this case?  I can read the man pages, but don't
understand what it exactly does.  Can anyone explain
why my results would be different  (2nd and 3rd decimal place
different in numbers that are in scientitific notation and
are e06 and e37, so the differences are huge)?  Anybody
have opinions on cc vs. gcc that can help me decide which
to use?

Thanks so much for help and advice.

--Julie