Re: How to build with bin-utils ?

On 28 Jan 2006 18:13:12 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> wrote:
> Timothy Madden <terminatorul@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The building instructions on web site say I should untar gcc sources
> > and binutils sources in the same directory to have them built at once.
>
> Which web site?

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/download.html

"If you also intend to build binutils (...), unpack the binutils
distribution either in the same directory or a separate one. In the
latter case, add symbolic links (...) to the directory containing the
GCC sources."

[...]
> > I made a symlink point to libiberty from binutils sources and put it
> > in gcc sources instead of the gcc-provided libiberty directory. I
> > still got some other errors and could not build. I even tried
> > overwritting most files from gcc sources with the ones in binutils
> > sources, and it would still not build.
> >
> > Could you please tell me how to build gcc with binutils and get past
> > 'unlink_if_ordinary' error ?
>
> Make sure that the version of libiberty which you use is the most
> recent one.

Well I built binutils-2.16.1 independently and ld said GNU linker
2.16.1, so I guess libiberty was latest version from binutils too.

> Alternatively, don't try to build them in the same directory.
> Instead, build them separately as documented in both packages.  Use
> the same --prefix (and other prefixes) for both.  Build and install
> the binutils before you build gcc.

Yes, this was the only way I cound made it work. I gaved up to a
common build and built and installed binutils, then gcc, then again
binutils. My problem was I couldn't have them build at once.

Thank you
Timohty Madden
Romania