Re: How to build with bin-utils ?

Timothy Madden <terminatorul@gmail.com> writes:

> The building instructions on web site say I should untar gcc sources
> and binutils sources in the same directory to have them built at once.

Which web site?

> but after tar --extract I have two different directories, one for gcc,
> one for binutils, because this is how the archives are made. I tried
> to copy files by myself in one sorce directory but then I would have
> to overwrite  files like configure and I don't think this is intended.
> How should I unpack them ?
>
> As written on the web page,  in the gcc sources directory I created
> symlinks to any directoris in binutils not also in gcc sources. Then I
> tried
>
>    configure --enable-threads
>    make profiledbootstrap
>
> and I coundn't get past a ld error saying it can't find
> 'unlink_if_ordinary' (should be in libiberty).
> I tried separately building binutils before building gcc+binutils, the
> error is still there.
>
> I made a symlink point to libiberty from binutils sources and put it
> in gcc sources instead of the gcc-provided libiberty directory. I
> still got some other errors and could not build. I even tried
> overwritting most files from gcc sources with the ones in binutils
> sources, and it would still not build.
>
> Could you please tell me how to build gcc with binutils and get past
> 'unlink_if_ordinary' error ?

Make sure that the version of libiberty which you use is the most
recent one.

Alternatively, don't try to build them in the same directory.
Instead, build them separately as documented in both packages.  Use
the same --prefix (and other prefixes) for both.  Build and install
the binutils before you build gcc.

Ian