libgcc.a, et. al.

I can not find a description of what the different versions of libgcc and libstd++ are for. Some versions are obvious, others are not.

In particular, I am trying to determine what these libraries are for: (this is on AIX version 5.3) (how are they different from each other perhaps is a better way to phrase my question. Or what objective do each of these have?)

gcc/powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0/4.0.2/libgcc_eh.a
libgcc_s.a
libsupc++.a
libstdc++.a

To provide some background, I am attempting to write a device driver on AIX 5.3 using C++. I want to use the try/catch/throw exception part of C++. I realize this may be an uphill battle but I think it will be worth it. To do this, the driver must be linked statically except for references resolved by exports provided by the AIX kernel services. I've been writing drivers using xlc on AIX for 18+ years so I am familiar with the AIX environment using C but want to start using C++.

Thank you,
Perry Smith