GCC intermediate forms conducive towards state machine descriptions

GCC Help Mailing List:

  I am currently looking to use GCC as a tool to produce an intermediate
form that is able to be transformed into an abstract state machine
description of a program.  The goal is to then take this abstract state
machine description and refine it to in order to produce an FSM capable
of being coded in a hardware design language (HDL).  We are currently
looking at the RTL and GIMPLE trees, however RTL is far too low-level
and GIMPLE seems like it may be too simple.  I am trying to dump the SSA
format, but for some reason the GCC tool doesn't produce any output when
I use the "-fdump-tree-ssa" command line option.

Any ideas on what form would work well for this?  Has anyone seen work
like this done before?  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jason Agron, University of Kansas
http://wiki.ittc.ku.edu/hybridthread